Tuesday 31 March 2009

When the going gets tough! The tough get going!

On Wednesday 25 March I went for one of my long walks and I did my usual eighteen miles. I've been very lucky with the weather conditions so far, so I hope it stays that way. According to my ancient bathroom scales I've lost about 10 pounds in weight, so all this walking must be good for me. I am starting to suffer a little bit from joint pain, but I find once I get going and warmed up and then get my mind focused the pain goes away. I also recite a little mantra as I'm going along, "when the going gets tough! The tough get going!" This helps to spur me on.


On Saturday 28 March, our friend Sylvia came all the way from Caterham to Egham to go training with Larraine and I. We set off at 10am and walked at a fairly steady pace to Staines, then once we got on the tow path the three of us shot off like scalded cats! We were going at such a speed, to confused on lookers it must have looked like a crazy woman chasing two Frankie Vaughan impersonators! Sylvia was very impressed with the scenic route down the river tow path as she's never walked that way before. My plan was to do the river walk to Shepperton once again, with a few variations on the return trip. As I got warmed up my speed increased and I started to leave the girls trailing behind me, so when I got to Chertsey bridge I had to turn round and go back for them; I didn't want them to get lost. We pressed on up the river, with the girls begging me to find a comfort stop, fortunately I knew where there was one. I told them to be quick as I don't like to stop walking once I get going. After that very quick break we carried on to Shepperton, then turned round and started to head back. We were trying to drink water and eat nutty fruit bars with added vitamins, whilst on the move. This is quite a difficult procedure when you have a white cane in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. We have to be careful not to spear other pedestrians, they don't like it!


We got back to Chertsey Bridge and went over it heading for Chertsey town. We veered of down a footpath and then past Abbey Farm and round the back of Laleham golf course. There is a public footpath that runs right through the golf course, but there's no way I'm risking walking across there with Larraine and getting a golf ball whacking us in the side of our heads at ninety miles an hour! They would see our white canes and assume we are playing golf. Mind you we could probably teach them a few different strokes.


We soldiered on along a narrow road called the Reach, this goes round the perimeter of the golf course and a mobile home site, then swung right and headed for Thorpe Park. We turned left just past Thorpe Park and went up Norlands Lane and on to Thorpe village. We were probably about three miles from home at this point and feeling a bit tired, as we had been pushing ourselves very hard. We kept on though and made it to our front door; by this time we had walked for five and a half hours, so we reckon we'd done at least twenty one miles.


I've decided that after the marathon I'm giving up walking and I'm investing in a two seated electric buggy, for me and Larraine. It will have to be fitted with some kind of radar system so we know where we're going, but I really don't want to see another pair of training shoes again.


Clive x

No comments:

Post a Comment