Thursday 12 March 2009

The prophesy of the owl

Clive:

I've just got back from a four hour and 18 minute walk. I walked along the tow path of the river Thames, from Staines to Windsor. The path was pretty muddy in places and I had to be careful not to slip down the river bank and into the fast flowing water. Whilst walking along the tow path at Old Windsor I was passing peoples' back gardens, in one of them was a big cage with an owl in it!

I have passed this owl many times over the years, but today the owl hooted at me three times! I don't know if he was trying to spur me on with my training for the Marathon, or advising me to go back home and put my feet up in front of the TV. If I stopped and asked the owl his opinion of what I should do, he probably wouldn't give a hoot!

I got to Windsor and Eton Bridge in two hours and 16 minutes, which I thought was pretty good considering my age and the adverse weather conditions. I soldiered on through Windsor town centre and tried not to chop too many tourists legs off with my white cane. I had to pass Princess Anne's Mum's place in Windsor, but I didn't have time to pop in for a cup of tea, as I was on a mission.

I then set off through Windsor Great Park, which is known locally as the Queen's back garden, it is an extremely beautiful park and we're very lucky to have it. I pushed on through the park to Englfield Green, then down a long steep hill, called Tite Hill. This takes you to Egham town centre; then another mile or so and I'm home again!

At a rough guestamate I've walked about 18 miles today. It was quite tough going as I haven't been able to train very much, as the start of the year was snowy and icy. I've also had a few problems with my back, because I've got a prolapsed disc. However, I won't let anything stop me from doing the Marathon! I wonder if that owl does know some thing that I don't!

Larraine:

On Monday I went out with my communicator guide Suzanne. We went walking together for several miles up a very steep hill, with the hope of increasing my stamina. After a brief rest period, we then went to the gym in Egham and trained some more. This morning I will be power walking to my pottery lesson, then I’ll be dancing tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Really great read. Looking forward to all your updates.

    ReplyDelete