Monday 18 May 2009

Storing beauty into one's mind

I was only joking about the knighthood. I really don't think Her Majesty would consider me as a potential knight. A few hundred years ago there was a knight called Sir Walter Tyrrell and he allegedly killed King William Rufus in the New Forest. I believe it was with a bow and arrow, but I'm sure it was just an accident. This story (which is true!) could possibly put her Majesty off the idea of knighting me. If she did decide to forget past history and the fact that my surname is also Tyrrell, she might still grant me this great honour. But I bet she would have the bows and arrows safely hidden away! Then again Her Majesty coming at me with a rather large sword would be pretty frightening for me; it could be pay back time! The last words I’d ever hear, could be "off with his head!"

There is a very pretty pub in the New Forest called The Sir Walter Tyrrell and its fairly near the Rufus Stone. I have been there twice and I can certainly recommend it.

If the weather is nice next week, I plan to start walking again. I shall do my normal routes, but not as fast as I did when training for the Marathon. Walking is my favourite hobby, there is a special reason why I like to be outside and walking free. It stems from when I first started to lose my sight, I knew that if I became totally blind I would become a prisoner in my own home and in my own head. I decided to get out as often as time and weather would allow. There is so much beauty outside, that is missed and not even seen by fully sighted people, mostly because we're all to busy working. I want to get as many images of the changing seasons in my mind as possible: the spring beauty of plants and trees turning green and then flowering, the ducks, swans, coots and geese swimming aimlessly up and down the river. The auburn beauty of a bright Autumn day, with wonderful colours and crisp leaves under your feet. Those birds in the sky, flying from tree to tree and the ever-changing sky itself. I want to store these images and feelings in my mind, then my mind will become my photo album, if the time comes when I cannot see at all and age creeps upon me, I will still have beauty decorating the inside of my head.

Sleep tight my fellow dreamers!

P.S. If any of the readers of my blog would like to come with me on a guided tour and see where I walk, that would be fine. I wouldn't want paying, but if you would like to donate to Sense, that would be fabulous. Especially for the children and adults who can't see the trees and hear the birds.

If a walk appeals to you! email me at: clive.tyrell@o2.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment